Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Aspartame: The Good

Approved by the Food and Drug Administration, aspartame is an artificial sweetener known to be 200 times sweeter than sucrose. It is found in a variety of foods and beverages and considered safe in 100+ countries for consumption. If it is approved by numerous governmental agencies and used in some of your favorite products, it has to be safe, right?

If you're curious about where aspartame is hidden, tour your refrigerators, pantries, and medicine cabinets. It may be surprising to hear the many places the drug is found. (Yes, I referred to it as a drug.) Do you drink diet soda? Chew gum? Eat sugar-free products regularly? If so, aspartame is moving through your bloodstream!


My addiction to aspartame began many years ago. By following the Atkin's diet, I quickly lost 40 lbs even while enjoying my favorite diet beverages. Diet Mountain Dew and Diet Coke have been staples in my diet for many, many years since. Even while still following a low carb lifestyle, I'm able to quench my thirst, enjoy a bit of sweetness, and feel somewhat satisfied due to the bubbling carbonation of the soda.

For me, drinking diet sodas has always been a win-win situation! Unfortunately, these diet sodas are loaded with aspartame and aspartame has become an addiction of mine.


So, what's the problem?


No comments:

Post a Comment